James Lord Bowes

Picture of James Lord Bowes

Date of Birth: 06/21/1834

Age: 65

Place of birth: Horsfort

Citizenship: United Kingdom

British patron of Japanese art

James Lord Bowes was born in Horsforte, Leeds, United Kingdom (Horsforth, Leeds, UK), and was the youngest of six surviving children of John Bouza, merchant resells wool, and Elizabeth Bowes Lord. The family moved to Liverpool between 1840-1845 years, after the death of John Bouza.

In his youth, James studied at Liverpool College, located near his home in the Islington area. At the end of the college Bowes almost seven years of dedicated merchant business, having gained useful experience in the science of properly selling, merchandising. He particularly excelled in the sale of cotton in Liverpool.

When Boaz knocked 22 years old, he began collaborating with his brother John, who recently opened a bank account and began to develop the textile trading platform, the sale of wool. Fraternal business flourished, and in January of 1859, James became a full partner in the firm `John L. Bowes & Brother, Wool Brokers`. In the same year, the office moved to the newly erected building, `Queens Insurance Building`, 11 minutes Dale Street.

Bose family moved to Canning Street, where the market bylrasschitan goods, mainly for wealthy intelligent consumers. James went to 1859 m to America in search of new business opportunities. It was the first of many trips abroad undertaken by Bose in the coming decades.

In 1867-m James moved to Stritlemsky cottage located on land adjacent to Strawberry field on Beaconsfield Road, a semi-rural suburb of Woolton rich, six miles south of Liverpool city center. In 1871 he married Charlotte Vikeri Adam, daughter Mary Adam De Belsen and William Adam, formerly living in Lisbon, Portugal (Lisbon, Portugal).

The family of Adam was engaged in the import of oranges and berries in London (London) and Liverpool. Father in law, James was responsible for the business management in Portugal. Charlotte`s brother, John Isabelle Adam, was also involved in the purchase and sale of wool and worked in the company `John L. Bowes and Brother`. James and Charlotte had six children, the last survivor of whom died in 1967, is 95 years old.

Following his own call, Bowes immersed himself not only in the commercial life of Liverpool, but also seriously interested in art. Several times he served as vice-president of the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce and President of the Liverpool Art Club. In 1872 James was entrusted to lead the construction of the majestic Stritlemskoy Tower, just south of the University of Liverpool (University of Liverpool). The architect of this historic hotel was made by George Ashdown Odsli (George Ashdown Audsley), who shared a passion for Japanese art Bose, in particular, to ceramics.

Around 1867 the first Bowes began collecting Japanese art of all kinds. He organized an exhibition at the Liverpool Art Club, after which participated with Odsli in compiling the catalog, known as `descriptive catalog of Japanese lacquerware Collections Bose. 1875 `. However, they also made the `Ceramic art Yaponii`, a copy of which was sent to the Emperor Meiji (Meiji) in 1891. In turn, the emperor sent as a gift to two bronze vases.

In 1888 James was appointed Honorary Japanese Consul in Liverpool. Prior to that, none of the UK does not receive such honors. In 1890, he built a private museum at the base Stritlemskoy Tower, which opened to the public. All proceeds from visits sent to the selected charities by the Bowes near Liverpool.

In April 1891 the first Japanese Bowes held a charity bazaar in his museum. For six days the event was visited by about 20 thousand people. We managed to collect 5290 pounds sterling (by the standards of 2012, about 580 thousand pounds) to charity. In May of 1891 Bose was awarded the Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure, fourth degree, and then in February 1897 the second received the same award of the third degree.

James Lord Bowes died of a heart attack while traveling on a train from London to Liverpool, October 27 th 1899. After his death, Bowes Museum of Japanese Art has been closed. Attempts to find a new location for his collection were unsuccessful. Museum exhibits sold at public auction eleven days in Liverpool in May of 1901. His wife Charlotte died in 1923, 80 year of life in Liverpool.