Citizenship : United States
You will go mad !
Electronics, dub, reggae, noise, and many other things - this team was one of the most interesting phenomena of recent times. Critics have called the style, which became the flagship of the Tortoise, " post-rock ".
-What do you think about the term " post-rock " ? Critics love to use it in relation to your music.
- Our reaction to the term " post-rock " is mainly that we ignore it and just play your music. We want to be open. We do not like to create a recognized cliche : " post-rock " for us -it is the same cliches, and we are not interested to be inside it.
- Could you tell me how to work on your latest album "It`s All Around You"? Was there any particular concept and whether it differed from what you thought of the previous albums ?
- Some of the songs were written in the studio. Some were written on the way to the studio. Some were no more than just riffs and then we have imposed on them a variety of layers of music. The general approach is the same as the one we used in previous plates.
- I heard that Joy Division were a cult band for the Chicago music scene and for you personally. Others can call influence?
- You are welcome. Selina Trepp, Mom, Bucky Pope, Television, Minutemen, Sonny Clark, Roy Orbison, Black Sabbath, Earth Guild, Elvin Jones, Thelonious Monk, Tony Williams, Bad Brains, Dou Dou N Daye Rose, and Sandwiches.
- Talking about the music of today - what you think is worthy of attention ?
-Brian Chase of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - one of the great drummers that I `ve ever heard. For a long time this was not. Game Chad Taylor also circling my head. Perhaps it is my favorite modern drummer. There is another group - Pit Er Pat - they make great music ,You have to hear them ! I am always looking for new releases Ellen Eylien or any other of the Underground Resistance. Crowpath from Sweden makes a great, sverhtehnichny metal that simply cuts off me. In the Congo, there is a great group Konono No. 1.They are made from ancient music to music of the future! They use homemade wooden amplifiers and microphones ! Be sure to listen to them, and you will go mad ! Actually, so much going on. .. It`s just impossible to believe it!
- What is most important to you when you make music?
- The main question is: pret music or not ? If rushing,we try to stick to this trend.
Many members of the group play in a variety of other projects. But the most important thing for us - it`s the music.
- Still, why this name - Tortoise?
- Actually, it`s just a word that none of us did not cause any objections.
turtle SongUnable to come to terms with the undivided rule of grunge and commercial alternatives in the mid -1990s, a team consisting of several talented musicians decided to create a group called Tortoise. Electronics, dub, reggae, noise, and many other things - this team was one of the most interesting phenomena of recent times.Critics have called the style, which became the flagship of the Tortoise, " post-rock ".