Date of Birth: 09/09/1921
Place of birth: Kharkov
He graduated from the Philological Faculty of Moscow State University in 1947. He defended his thesis (Doctor of Philology) in 1950. He became known in 1953 as a translator of ancient literature in the Russian language; a prominent translator from German.
Translated Solomon Apt published for the Russian reader Aeschylus, the novel "Joseph and His Brothers" by Thomas Mann, Bertolt Brecht`s play, the novel "The Glass Bead Game `by Hermann Hesse. The first translator of Franz Kafka on the Russian language.
Author of books about Thomas Mann: "Thomas Mann" (biography, in the life and f), "Above stranitsamiTomasa Mann" (the book of essays).
Member of the Writers` Union (1959). Member of the Editorial Board of Public magazine "Foreign Literature".
Wife - literary critic Yekaterina Starikov.
translations of ancient literature
Translations of German literature
o Doctor Faustus (together with Natalia Mann)
o Joseph and his brothers
o Confessions of Felix Krull
* F. Kafka
* B. BrehtL. Feuchtwanger
* G. Hesse
* R. Musil
o Man Without Qualities
* M. Frisch
* E. Canetti and others.
* "Thomas Mann". M., a series of "Life of Remarkable People" 1972
* "Over the pages of Thomas Mann." - M., 1980
* B. Brecht "Mother Courage and Her Children." M., 1956
* B. Brecht "The Caucasian Chalk Circle." M., 1956
* B. Brecht "Threepenny Opera". Moscow, 1957
* Aeschylus. Oresteia. M., 1958
L. Fox * Feuchtwanger in the vineyard. M., 1959
* T. Mann Doctor Faustus. M., 1960
* T. Mann, Joseph and his brothers. Moscow, 1968
* T. Mann Letters. Moscow, 1975
* A. Stifter Indian summer. Moscow, 1999
* Honorary Cross "For merits in the field of science and art" (Austria, 2001)
* Prize. H. Hesse (Germany, 1982)
* The Austrian State Prize (1986)
* Award Fund "Banner" (1995)
* Prize. V. Zhukovsky (2000)
* Award of the Alexander I (2006) 
* Honorary Doctor of the University of Cologne (1989)
* Corresponding member of the German Academy of Language and Literature