Date of Birth: 07/03/1971
Place of birth: London
Citizenship: United Kingdom
Rachel Weisz was born in London on March 7, 1971. Her father, George Weisz, an ethnic Jew, born in Hungary, and subsequently became an inventor. Together with his family he fled to England to escape persecution by the Nazis. Rachel`s mother, Edith, was born in Vienna, according to some sources, in the Catholic, on the other, to a Jewish family.
Weiss studied English literature at Cambridge University. During training, she participated in various student productions, and was one of the founders of the student drama troupe called Cambridge Talking Tongues
The role that brought her success was in the production of the play called West End in 1995 at Gielgud Theatre Theatre stage. At that time, Rachel already had experience on television, and she continued her career in the same year in the movie "Chain Reaction", after which she starred in Bernardo Bertolucci`s "Stealing Beauty." This was followed by other English movies with her participation, such as "The Mummy" (1999) and "Constantine: Lord of Darkness" (2005).
In 2005, Weisz starred in "The Constant Gardener", which is based on the eponymous book by John le Carre. For his role in this film, in 2006, she was awarded the "Golden Globe" in the category "Best Actress". Also, the film was nominated for "Oscar" in several categories, including a nomination for "Best Supporting Actress". Rachel and received the award for his work in the film.
At the end of 2006 on the world`s screens out the film "The Fountain", written and directed that her fiance Darren Aronofsky. In addition, the summer of 2006, Weiss has started filming the movie "My Blueberry Nights" the cult director Wong Carven. The film was released in 2007
2006 Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, "The Constant Gardener" (USA Film Academy); Golden Globe for Supporting Actress, "The Constant Gardener" (Golden Globes, USA);
2005 Award "Independent Spirit" for best actress in "The Constant Gardener" (British Independent Film Awards) ;.
Interesting biographical facts:
- The father of Rachel inventor, his mother a psychoanalyst. Parents were forced to leave Hungary to England to escape persecution by the Nazis (Rachel`s father Jewish);
- I studied English literature at Cambridge.
- Currently (2007) is engaged to director Darren Aronofsky, has a daughter from him.
- 14 years was a model. But we notice it after the theatrical play "Design For Living", which won the award of critics. After that she was able to play in a Bertolucci film "Stealing Beauty" and film career took off;
- Her surname is pronounced "Weiss";
- At the time of the university was a radical feminist
Filmography: Definitely, Maybe / Definitely, Maybe / (2008)
2. The Brothers Bloom / Brothers Bloom, The / (2008)
3. My Blueberry Nights / My Blueberry Nights / (2007)
4. Fred Claus / Fred Claus / (2007)
5. Fountain / Fountain, The / (2006)
6. Constant Gardener / Constant Gardener, The / (2005)
7. Constantine: Lord of Darkness / Constantine / (2005)
8. Envy / Envy / (2004)
9. Runaway Jury / Runaway Jury / (2003) + Marley
10. Sting / Confidence / (2003)
11. My boy / About a Boy / (2002)
12. The Mummy Returns / Mummy Returns, The / (2001)
13. Enemy at the Gates / Enemy At The Gates / (2001)
14. Mummy / Mummy, The / (1999)
15. Flavor sunlight / Sunshine / (1998)
16. Travel / Going All The Way / (1997)
17. Carried away by the sea / Swept From The Sea / (1997)
18. Chain Reaction / Chain Reaction / (1996)
19. Stealing Beauty / Stealing beauty / (1995)