Date of Birth: 11/13/1887
Place of birth: Moscow
Vavilov, Nikolai Ivanovich (1887-1943), a Russian botanist, botanist, geneticist, geographer and scientific organizer. Born in Moscow on 13 (25) in November 1887. The elder brother of the famous physicist Vavilov. He graduated from the Moscow Commercial College (1906) and the Moscow Institute of Agriculture (former Peter`s Academy, 1910), was left at the Department of private farming, which is in charge of D.N.Pryanishnikov, to prepare for a professorship, and then assigned to the breeding station. He trained in St. Petersburg at the Bureau of Applied Botany R.E.Regelya under the guidance and in the laboratory of mycology and plant pathology under the supervision A.A.Yachevskogo. In 1913-1914 he worked at the Institute of Horticultural one of the founders of genetics U.Betsona, which Vavilov later called his teacher and "the first apostle of the new doctrine," and then in France, the largest seed company Vilmorenov and Germany have E.Gekkelya. After the First World War Vavilov barely managed to escape from Germany back to Russia. In 1916 he went on an expedition to Iran, then to the Pamirs. Back in Moscow, taught, assorted imported materials, conducted experiments with Pamir maturing wheat, continued experiments on immunity in the experimental plots in Peter`s Academy. From September 1917 to 1921 he taught at the Saratov higher agricultural courses, where in 1918, with the conversion rate to the institute was elected professor and head of the department of genetics, breeding and private farming. On the local stations together with students conducted research on breeding. In June 1920, he made a presentation on the homologous series at the III All-Russian Congress of breeders in Saratov. In March 1921, after the death of Regel, together with a group of employees he moved to Petrograd, led the Department of Applied Botany and Selection (formerly the Bureau of Applied Botany Agricultural Committee of the scientist). Also in 1921 he traveled to the United States, where he delivered at the International Congress on Agriculture, met with the work of the Bureau of Plant in Washington and the work of the Colombian laboratory T.G.Morgana. He organized a branch of the Department of Applied Botany and Selection in Washington, led by D.N.Borodinym, who was able to purchase seeds, books, equipment for the Department for the next two years. On the way back through Europe he visited G.de Vries.
In 1922 Vavilov was appointed director of the State Institute of Experimental Agronomy, united the various departments of the Agricultural Research Committee. In 1924 he became director of the All-Union Institute of Applied Botany and New Crops, in 1930 - director of its successor, the All-Union Institute of Plant c broad network of offices, experimental stations and bases. In 1927 he participated in the V International Congress of Genetics in Berlin. He was president and in 1935-1940 - Vice-president of the All-Union Academy of Agricultural Sciences. Lenin (Academy of Agricultural Sciences) (since 1938 became president of TD Lysenko, who remained in office until 1956).
All-Union Institute of Plant Vavilov created the Department of Genetics, and in 1930 headed the successor Bureau of genetics (which until his death led Yu.A.Filipchenko) - Laboratory of Genetics. Three years later the Laboratory of Genetics has been transformed into the Institute of Genetics, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, in 1934, together with the entire Academy transferred from Leningrad to Moscow. To work at the Institute Vavilov drew Filipchenko not only students, but also to geneticists and breeders A.A.Sapegina, G.A.Levitskogo, D.Kostova, K.Bridzhesa, G.M