Lydia Moss Bradley
Date of Birth: 07/21/1816
Place of birth: Vivi
Citizenship: United States
Lydia Moss Bradley was born on July 31, 1816 in the town of Vivi, Indiana (Vevay, Indiana), and increased by the banks of the Ohio River (Ohio River). She lived there with her family and her husband by 31 years, until Bradley Tobias (Tobias Bradley), her husband, did not took her in Peoria, Illinois (Peoria, Illinois). Mrs. Bradley is known, first and foremost, the fact that established and supported Polytechnic Institute Bradley (Bradley Polytechnic Institute), in the city, which has become her second home, and, in addition, for its time, it was a pioneer in many areas.
Since childhood, she showed remarkable resolve and different abilities. In May 1837 she married Lydia Bradley Tobias, ten years later, they moved to Peoria, where for the next three decades, their business in the banking and real estate flourished, increasing state seed pair. Alas, in 1867, Thomas Bradley passed away, but his wife continued to run their own businesses and at the same time launched a broad charitable activities, especially in health and education.
In 1875 Lydia Bradley became the first female member of the Board of the National Bank in the United States (United States), when she entered the board of directors of the First National Bank of Peoria (First National Bank of Peoria), which is now a part of the Commercial Bank (Commerce Bank).
Lydia Bradley also was the first American woman to participate in the creation of their own marriage contract to protect their assets. She gave the land to the Company of St. Francis (Society of St. Francis), to build a hospital, known today as St. Francis Medical Center (OSF St. Francis Medical Center). In 1884, she built a `Bradley Home for Aged Women`, female nursing home where the care of the elderly widows or childless women, and identified sredstvana construction Universalist Church in Peoria. In addition, Lydia Bradley assisted with the creation of the first parks in the system in Illinois.
However, the most significant of its project is the construction of Bradley University (Bradley University) - as it is called today - which Mrs Bradley founded in 1897 in memory of Thomas her husband and their six children, who, to the grief of mother all died early and unexpectedly, leaving her a childless widow. Thomas and Lydia discussed the possibility of dispensation of an orphanage in memory of their deceased children, but after studying the issue, visiting several similar institutions, Mrs. Bradley decided instead to organize a school where young people can acquire knowledge that would help them later in life. To start in 1892, it has acquired a controlling stake in the first American school for watchmakers and is located in the town of Laporte, Indiana (LaPorte, Indiana), and transported it to Peoria. The will Lydia pointed out that wants her money was spent on the expansion of the school, which would give a classical education, and trained all kinds of crafts for the benefit of society. In 1920, the Academy became a college with a four-year, then became a university and continues to grow. Today the University has the status of an independent fully-accredited educational institution that offers higher education for future engineers, entrepreneurs, educators, scientists and artists.
She died at a ripe old age, January 16, 1908.
In 1998, Lydia Moss Bradley was posthumously inducted into the National Women`s Hall of Fame (National Women`s Hall of Fame), joining the most outstanding women of America (America), who made an invaluable contribution to the arts, sports, business, education, management, humanitarian activities , charity and science.