Date of Birth: 08/06/1900
Citizenship: Czech Republic
He was in the avant-garde literary group Dev & # 283; tsil. Translated Mayakovsky, Pasternak, Tsvetaeva, Lugovskogo, Gorky, Zoshchenko. He graduated from the Charles University (1928), defended his diploma on Gogol and the English novel of the XVIII century.
In 1933-1935 he worked in Moscow as a journalist, translator of Marxist literature and official documents of the Communist International in Czech, participated in the translation of Lenin`s State and Revolution labor. After the murder of Kirov was slandered, he expelled from the party, condemned and exiled to Kazakhstan.
He returned to Prague in 1935. He worked as a researcher at the Jewish Museum in Prague. He has published a novel about Stalin`s purges Moscow - Border (1937), which was sharply criticized Czech Communists in the first place - Julius Fucik, a close friend of Weill; it was the continuation of the novel Wooden spoon, one of the first works in which has been recreated Gulag (1938, published in 1970 in Italy, from 1977 spread in the Czech samizdat, published in 1992 in the homeland). Before 1938 he worked at the Jewish Museum of Prague. In 1942, under the threat of deportation as a communist and a Jew simulated suicide, he went into hiding and hiding until the end of the war, while continuing to write.
After the war, he returned to active work in 1946-1948 led Literarni noviny journal, published a historical novel-parable about the false prophet Mocanu Muslim father Wonderland (1946). After the communists came to power in 1948, was removed from the leadership magazine, expelled from the Writers` Union, his novel about anti-Semitism Living with a Star (1948) has undergone an ideological elaboration. From 1949 to 1957 his works were not published. Rehabilitated in 1958. The last novel Weil Mendelssohn on the roof was printed in 1960, after the death of the author, who died of cancer.
* Rusk & # 225; revolu & # 269; n & # 237; literatura (1924)
* Kulturn & # 237; pr & # 225; cesov & # 283; tsk & # 233; ho Ruska (1924)
* & # 268; & # 353 an e; i stav & # 283; j & # 237; v zemi p & # 283; tiletek (1937)
* Moskva-hranice (1937)
* Makanna, otec div & # 367; (1946)
* Barvy (1946)
* Vzpom & # 237; nky na Julia Fu & # 269; & # 237; ka (1947)
* & # 381; ivot s hv & # 283; zdou (1949)
* M & # 237; r (1949)
* V & # 283; ze & # 328; chillonsk & # 253; (1957)
* Harfen & # 237; k (1958)
* & # 381; alozp & # 283; v za 77 297 the ob & # 283; t & # 237; (1958)
* Na st & # 345; e & # 353; e je Mendelssohn (1960)
* Hodina pravdy, hodina zkou & # 353; ky (1966)
* Moskva-Hranice (1991)
* D & # 345; ev & # 283; n & # 225; l & # 382; & # 237; ce (1992)