Date of Birth: 08/26/1933
Place of birth: Moscow
Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Senior Researcher, Institute of Oriental Studies. Head. Chair of South Asian History at MSU IAAS. Head of the Center of Indological and Buddhist Studies at MSU IAAS. Supervisor of the Center for a comparative study of ancient civilizations IVI RAN. Chief editor of "Bulletin of ancient history." Chairman of the Editorial Board of the series "Monuments of Literature of the East".
In characteristic VG Lysenko, "charming cynic and a great joker." In addition to numerous studies on the ancient Indian civilization, he published a series of articles on the scientific work of MI Rostovtsev, as well as feature articles.
He died September 30, 2008 by 76-year life after a serious illness in the American Hospital in Neuilly, near Paris.
Education and scientific degrees
* 1951-1956 - a student of the Faculty of Oriental Studies of the Moscow State University;
* 1956 - post-graduate student of Moscow State University;
* Dissertation - History and control system of the Maurya Empire. BP ... Ph.D. M., 1961. 20 p.
* 1961 - the candidate of historical sciences, IAAS, Moscow State University;
* Dissertation - India Mauryan era. (Society, the state, culture). BP ... dhs M., 1970. 63 p. Doctor of Historical Sciences.
* 1978 - Professor of Moscow State University;
* 1990 - Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
* 1999 - Distinguished Professor of Moscow State University.
Research and translations
* Bongard-Levin GM, Ilyin GF Ancient India. Historical Review. Nauka, Moscow. 1969. 736 p. 5000 copies. 2nd ed. under the title: India in ancient times. Nauka, Moscow. 1985. 758 pp. 25,000 copies. 3rd ed. St. Petersburg, Aletheia. 2001. 816 p. 1300 copies.
* Bongard-Levin GM India Mauryan era. Nauka, Moscow. 1973. 407 p. 2500 copies.
* KA Antonova, Bongard-Levin GM, GG Kotovsky History of India. A short essay. M., 1973. 2nd ed. M., 1979. 
* Bongard-Levin GM, Grantovsky EA From Scythia to India. The ancient Aryans: myths and history. Moscow, 1974. 2 nd ed., Ext. M. Thought. 1983. 208 pp. 80,000 copies. 3rd ed. St. Petersburg, 2001.
* Tulle SI, Bongard-Levin GM Sri Lanka Arts: ancient and medieval period. (OITII). MA, Art. 1974. 207 pp. 25,000 copies.
* Bongard-Levin GM, Gerasimov AV sages and philosophers of ancient India: Some issues of cultural heritage. (KNV.MI). Nauka, Moscow. 1975. 342str. 10000 copies.
* Bongard-Levin GM ancient Indian civilization. Philosophy, science, religion. Nauka, Moscow. 1980. 334 pp. 50,000 copies. 2nd ed. Ancient Indian Civilization. Nauka, Moscow-VL. 1993. 317 str. 6000 copies. 3rd ed. Ancient Indian Civilization. History. Religion. Philosophy. Epic. Literature. The science. The meeting of cultures. M. overhead. 2001. 495 str. 4th ed. Moscow, 2007.
* Bongard-Levin GM Ancient India. History and culture. Sb.st. St. Petersburg, Aletheia. 2001. 288 p.
* Bongard-Levin GM, MD Bukharin, AA Vigasina India and the ancient world. M. overhead. 2002. 360 str. 1000 copies.
* Bongard-Levin GM India Ethnolinguistic history, political and social structure, written heritage and culture of antiquity. Sb.st. Nauka, Moscow. 2003.
Publications and translations:
* Bongard-Levin GM Volkova O. Legend of Kunaley (Kunalavadana from an unpublished manuscript Asokavadanamala). M., ventilator. 1963. 101 p.
* Monuments Indian writing from Central Asia. / Transl. GM Bongard-Levin, MI Vorobevoj-Desyatovskaya E. N.T