Date of Birth: 11/21/1936
Place of birth: Moscow
Step to freedom
Before entering the room, where he was a great human rights convention, he was an elderly man with a gray beard, stooping under the weight of carry-on bag strange breed. If plaque is not pinned on his chest, I would have never guessed that in front of me the legendary dissident Alexander Ginzburg, who was left to the Soviet regime for three decades.
The interview turned out too short, and the questions were not too successful. But there was no more time. And it will not.
- Tell me, do you feel part of the Russian human rights movement?
- Relatively. Although sometimes I write about it. And this Congress, I was invited as an exhibit.
- A part of Western society do you feel?
- Also not very much. Although I - Western pensioner.
- Experience in the camps somehow impact on your lifestyle?
- Of course. For example, I do not know what to do with a dinner, which I have proposed today (congress held in Moscow expensive hotel, and its participants were fed Julien and other goodies -. GT). In the end, I chose the meatballs with mashed potatoes and ate them with pleasure. Of course, I live in France, but there is little to change their habits.
- How often are you in Russia?
- Often. About once every couple of months. I arrive at the general home. I`ve got no nostalgia here she did not wake up. I treat this as a fact.
- It seems to me natural that the people who fought against the regime, after his fall at least receive glory and honor. You do not feel deprived?
- What do you! I got a lot of fame. Imagine my name got into the textbooks of history. If you call a lot of people, I was surprised. Can you imagine, because of changing the ninth-grader knows he can get a deuce ...
The end of the fifties is considered to be a thaw. But freedom was clear boundaries, painted heads. Young Alik Ginzburg was within these limits closely. And he solved them slightly apart. Namely - to make their own uncensored magazine.
The name borrowed from Chekhov, in one of the stories which featured a dog named syntax. Ginzburg and his friend thought that this name is quite appropriate for a literary publication.
Author`s composition was not weak: Joseph Brodsky, Bulat Okudzhava, Bella Akhmadulina, Yevgeny Rein, Henry Sapgir ...
"Reader response" does not take long. It took the chief literary critic of the country under the name KGB. But the authorities apparently was too lazy to turn the poetic edition of the magazine in an act of anti-Soviet propaganda. To deal with Ginzburg, we find another way.
One of the witnesses blurted out that once Alex took to help his friend to pass external examinations for matriculation - instead passed math and writing. Check it was simple: only two schools were in Moscow, where he rented externally. One photo showed the documents to Ginzburg, but with a different name. "Fraud," "forgery of documents" - Ginzburg received his first term, two years ...
The prison camp was allowed to cool and many, but not Ginzburg. After the trial of Sinyavsky and Daniel, he gathered all the materials of the process and issued the famous "White Paper". Print it out, I went to the reception of the KGB on Kuznetsky Most. There Alec solemnly laid weighty tome on the table and said something like: "You know me, you know that the court case I made this book and is interested in the fact that you Sinyavsky and Daniel released Otherwise, I`ll have it all to publish..."
Battered KGB officers suffered slight shock. Then Ginzburg began to frighten. Mol, and brick on the head can accidentally fall ... parrots - released. Brick, fortunately, did not fall, but soon Alex got another term.
Shortly before his arrest, Aleksandr Ginzburg and Arina Zhelkovskaya filed an application to the registrar. When the groom were taken away to prison, the wedding was five days. Once in the area, Ginsburg asked that he be allowed to marry. The camp authorities took this as an inappropriate joke: a man sits with a considerable period, in the harsh article and still requires wedding! Having been refused, Ginsburg and several of his comrades on hunger strike, which lasted nearly a month.
As a result, the marriage was allowed. The wedding ceremony took place in the camp visiting room, and as witnesses were security officers. Rings for Arina and Alec did Sinyavsky`s wife - Maria Rozanov.
To remain a free man was very hard in the Soviet society. More difficult it was to do in the area.
Someone from the camp authorities asked Ginzburg fix tape. The reason for failure was a gaggle of cockroaches, taken a liking to the machine as a home. Having dealt with the uninvited guests, Ginsburg rapidly "improved" device, turning it into a kind of recorder to which an audio will have been recorded. Tape recording of the match and reeled on secret channels transported to the West. Soon after the international radio resounded: "Hello, dear friends, our microphone - in the political camp